Biography & Contributions
John Alexander Reina Newlands was an English chemist born on November 26, 1837 - died on July 29, 1898.He formulated law of octaves. Newlands arranged periodic table elements according to their relative atomic weights. The periodic table which he formulated has contain periods and groups aligned in down side to table.
Facts about periodic table
Periodic table is a tabular arrangement of the 118 chemical elements, organized on the basis of their atomic numbers, electron configurations, and recurring chemical properties. Elements are represented in order of increasing atomic number. Periodic table is divided into periods and groups and it comprises of 18 columns and 7 rows.
Periodic table Blocks
- s-block elements
- p-block elements
- d-block elements
- f-block elements
S-block elements comprises of alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, hydrogen and helium elements. These elements are distinguished by the property that in the atomic ground state, the highest-energy electron is in an s-orbital. S-block elements are powerful reducing agents, reactive and soft.
P-block elements in the periodic table comprises of boron group, carbon group, nitrogen group, chalcogens, halogens and nobel gases. P-block elements contain nonmetals, semimetals and metalloids.
d-block elements also referred as transition metals. D-block elements properties are intermediate between s-block elements and p-block elements.
f-block elements also called as inner transition elements. F-block elements consist of those elements whose atoms or ions have valence electrons in f-orbitals.
Newland's law of octaves
Newland's arrangement was a grouping of the elements in increasing atomic weights (starting with lithium) in horizontal rows of eight elements, with each new row directly beneath the previous one.
Some important things you did not know about the periodic table
- Periodic table of elements created as a giant cheat sheet
- To determine those weights, scientists had passed currents through various solutions to break them up into their constituent atoms. According to battery polarity the atoms of one element and atoms of another moved to opposite directions to each other. Later all atoms are gathered weighed.
- There are 90 elements on the periodic table that occur in nature. All of the other elements are artificially synthesized elements.
- Technetium was the first element to be made artificially
- New version of periodic table was approved 19 February 2010.
- Scientists are working on creating and verifying element 120
- The only letter that does not appear anywhere on the periodic table is the letter J.
To contact the author mail: email@example.com
© WOC Article
Get the details of chemistry periodic table, groups of the periodic table and more about chemistry from