BP, National Oil Corp Eni resume' exploration work in Libya

BP, National Oil Corp and Eni to resume exploration work in Libya

5:19 AM, 9th October 2018
BP LOGO

LONDON, UK: BP Plc, National Oil Corporation (NOC) and Eni have signed an agreement expected to lead to Eni and BP working together to resume exploration activities on a major exploration and production contract in Libya.

A letter of intent (LOI) was signed by Mustafa Sanalla, chairman of National Oil Corporation, BP group CEO Bob Dudley and Eni CEO Claudio Descalzi.

The parties agreed to work towards Eni acquiring a 42.5 percent interest in the BP-operated exploration and production sharing agreement (EPSA) in Libya. On completion, Eni would also become operator of the EPSA. BP currently holds an 85 percent working interest in the EPSA, with the Libyan Investment Authority holding the remaining 15 percent.

Eni have existing exploration and production activities and infrastructure adjacent to onshore areas of the EPSA. Transferring the operatorship to Eni creates the opportunity for the resumption of activity following completion of the transaction and relevant regulatory approvals.

The EPSA includes three contract areas, two in the onshore Ghadames basin and one in the offshore Sirt basin, covering a total area of around 54,000 km2. Originally awarded in 2007, work on the EPSA has been suspended since 2014.

As part of the LOI, the signatories also reconfirmed their commitment to promote technical training and other social initiatives in Libya. 

As set out in the LOI, the companies intend to finalise and complete all agreements by the end of this year, with a target of resuming exploration activities in 2019.

“This agreement is a clear signal and recognition by the market of the opportunities Libya has to offer and will only serve to strengthen our production outlook. The agreement’s social development guarantee is an important sign of our joint commitment to our staff and the communities in which we work. This initiative will hopefully drive further inward investment and facilitate higher production levels,” said Sanalla.

“This is an important step towards returning to our work in Libya. We believe that working closely together with Eni and with Libya will allow us to bring forward restarting exploration in these promising areas,” added Dudley.

“This is an important milestone that will help to unlock Libyan exploration potential by resuming EPSA operations that have remained suspended since 2014. It contributes towards creating an attractive investment environment in the country, aimed at restoring Libya’s production levels and reserve base by optimizing the use of existing Libyan infrastructure,” said Descalzi.

© Worldofchemicals News

0 Comments

Login

Your Comments (Up to 2000 characters)
Please respect our community and the integrity of its participants. WOC reserves the right to moderate and approve your comment.

Related News


Aramco, Total launch engineering studies for giant petrochemical complex

DHAHRAN, SAUDI ARABIA/PARIS, FRANCE: Total SA and Saudi Aramco have signed a joint development agreement for the front-end engineering and design (FEE ...

Read more
Wood bags multi-million-dollar contract in Oman

ABERDEEN, UK: Wood Group has secured a new multi-million-dollar contract with Duqm Refinery and Petrochemicals Industries to provide two Terrace Wall ...

Read more
Total, Sonatrach to develop natural gas, petrochemicals in Algeria

PARIS, FRANCE: Sonatrach and Total SA have signed two agreements as part of the comprehensive partnership announced in 2017: A new concession contrac ...

Read more
New age hues

In an interview, Janak Mehta, Chairman, Asia Dyestuff Industry Federation (ADIF) with Chemical Today magazine analyses the changing dynamics of dyestu ...

Read more
Foundation to sell Gharda stake for funding R&D

MUMBAI, INDIA: Scientist RA Mashelkar’s Gharda Medical & Advanced Technologies Foundation will sell its 57.5 percent in agrochemicals maker ...

Read more
Driving agro revolution: Being chemically responsible

Agrochemicals is a significant part of farming - the only way to assure that the soil remains fertile through seasons of harvest and the crops be pest ...

Read more
www.worldofchemicals.com uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. X