Denka buy German biopharma firm, enhances vaccines business

Denka to buy German biopharma firm, enhances vaccines business

1:42 PM, 7th August 2015
Denka to buy German biopharma firm, enhances vaccines business

TOKYO, JAPAN: Denki Kagaku Kogyo (Denka Group) said it will acquire Icon Genetics GmbH, a German bio-pharmaceutical R&D company, from Nomad Bioscience GmbH for €75 million ($81.9 million), in two phases.

Denka will acquire 51 percent of Icon’s shares from Nomad (first phase) as a result of which Icon will become a subsidiary of Denka and after two years, it will acquire the remaining 49 percent shares making it a wholly owned subsidiary, Denka said.

The first phase of acquisition is scheduled on 20 Aug.

Denka will grow its vaccines and diagnostic reagents business by Denka Seiken Co Ltd, the major group company of Denka. It will develop norovirus, influenza and other vaccines, improve its manufacturing technologies of antibodies and accelerate research and development of next-generation products, it said.

Icon’s magnICON technology produces high molecular proteins such as antibodies and vaccine antigens by using plant-based genetic modification technology and is known for its yield and lower production costs as compared to other similar plant-based technologies.

Halle, Germany-headquartered Icon has 14 employees as of July. Its R&D facility will continue to be located in Halle, while the commercialization rights in the businesses other than Icon, vaccines and diagnostic reagents will be transferred to Nomad, Denka said.

© Worldofchemicals News



Your Comments (Up to 2000 characters)
Please respect our community and the integrity of its participants. WOC reserves the right to moderate and approve your comment.

Related News

New chemistry makes strong bonds weak

PRINCETON, US: Researchers at Princeton have developed a new chemical reaction that breaks the strongest bond in a molecule instead of the weakest, co ...

Read more
Twin discoveries, ‘eerie’ effect may lead to manufacturing advances

WEST LAFAYETTE, US: The discovery of a previously unknown type of metal deformation – sinuous flow - and a method to suppress it could lead to m ...

Read more
Shell sells Chinese lubricant firm 75 pc stake to Carlyle, Huo’s Group

LONDON, UK: Royal Dutch Shell Plc said it has signed an agreement to sell its 75 percent stake in Tongyi Lubricants in China to Huo’s Group and ...

Read more
Self-assembling, biomimetic membranes may aid water filtration

PENNSYLVANIA, US: A synthetic membrane that self assembles and is easily produced may lead to better gas separation, water purification, drug delivery ...

Read more
WestRock appoints Albemarle executive VP as Ingevity CEO

NORCROSS, US: WestRock Company said that Albemarle Corp executive vice president, D Michael Wilson will be the chief executive officer of the company& ...

Read more
BioAmber inaugurates largest biobased succinic acid plant in Canada

MONTREAL, CANADA: BioAmber Inc said it has opened its Sarnia plant, the world’s largest succinic acid production facility and that it will be gl ...

Read more uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. X