DSM, NHU inaugurates polyphenylene sulfide joint venture in China

DSM, NHU inaugurates polyphenylene sulfide joint venture in China

7:10 AM, 24th August 2016
DSM, NHU inaugurates polyphenylene sulfide joint venture in China
DSM and NHU inaugurate joint venture to produce high performance PPS compounds.

SINGAPORE: Royal DSM and specialty chemicals producer Zhejiang NHU Special Materials Co Ltd (NHU) have officially inaugurated their joint venture company for polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) compounds, DSM NHU Engineering Plastics (Zhejiang) Co Ltd.

The JV which was announced May 2015 has been established in Zhejiang province, close to NHU’s linear PPS polymer plant in Shangyu, for manufacturing of the high performance compounds.

DSM has a 60 percent share in DSM NHU Engineering Plastics (Zhejiang) Co Ltd, with NHU holding the remaining 40 percent. Products, which are branded Xytron PPS, are marketed globally and targeted principally at automotive, electrical and electronics, water management and industrial markets. DSM will be marketing the product globally, including China.

The PPS polymer plant operated by NHU uses proven technology to provide high quality base polymer for the compounds. The joint venture will take over NHU’s existing compounding capacity. DSM for its part brings its long-standing expertise in application development and materials science, as well as access to its global customer network.

DSM NHU Engineering Plastics (Zhejiang) Co Ltd is initially offering two standard commercial grades. These are Xytron G4010T, containing 40 percent glass fiber reinforcement, and Xytron M6510A, which contains 65 percent glass fiber and mineral filler. Recently DSM has added to its portfolio a 30 percent glass reinforced grade and a 40 percent glass reinforced low chlorine grade (especially important for electronic applications) which are currently being evaluated by customers. Grades under development include types with enhanced wear resistance and low friction, with high flow/low flash, and with increased impact strength.

In the run-up to the official inauguration, the joint venture has already captured business in three important applications in both China and Europe, with materials currently being evaluated by numerous customers, including key automotive OEMs and Tier Ones. One of the three products already commercialized is an engine block heater for electric generators, which is required to operate in continuous contact with water at temperatures between 35 and 50°C.

“Xytron PPS compounds will further enhance DSM’s offering in the high temperature performance engineering plastics space, adding to our leadership positions with Stanyl polyamide 46 and our ForTii polyamide 4T. They also complement our offerings in Akulon polyamide 6 and 66, and in Arnite and Arnitel thermoplastic polyesters for engineering applications. We now have a strengthened portfolio of solutions for customers operating in key markets,” said Roeland Polet, president DSM Engineering Plastics.

© Worldofchemicals News

0 Comments

Login

Your Comments (Up to 2000 characters)
Please respect our community and the integrity of its participants. WOC reserves the right to moderate and approve your comment.

Related News


Albemarle to acquire Jiangli New Material’s lithium salts assets

CHARLOTTE, US: Albemarle Corporation has signed a definitive agreement to acquire the lithium hydroxide and lithium carbonate conversion assets and su ...

Read more
Researchers reduce expensive noble metals for fuel cell reactions

PULLMAN, US: Washington State University (WSU) researchers have developed a novel nanomaterial that could improve the performance and lower the costs ...

Read more
Sika opens 2 new national subsidiaries in Africa

DJIBOUTI/CAMEROON, AFRICA: Sika AG has opened its two new national subsidiaries in Djibouti and Cameroon, which takes the total number of subsidiaries ...

Read more
Technip, Metabolic Explorer to evaluate polymer technology

PARIS, FRANCE: Technip SA and Metabolic Explorer, a biological chemistry company have signed an agreement to assess the feasibility of offering a comb ...

Read more
Hundreds fall ill after ammonia leak in Bangladesh fertiliser plant

CHITTAGONG, BANGLADESH: An explosion at a chemical fertiliser factory left at least 200 people needing medical treatment after toxic gas spread across ...

Read more
A Schulman promotes vice president Miller as new COO

AKRON, US: A Schulman Inc said that it has promoted Gary Miller, currently executive VP and chief procurement officer to chief operating officer, effe ...

Read more
www.worldofchemicals.com uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. X