Liquid nitrogen cocktail leaves Delhi man with hole in stomach

Liquid nitrogen cocktail leaves Delhi man with a hole in stomach

7:57 AM, 4th July 2017
A liquid nitrogen cocktail is any mixed drink whose preparation involves the use of liquid nitrogen. (File photo)
A liquid nitrogen cocktail is any mixed drink whose preparation involves the use of liquid nitrogen. (File photo)

NEW DELHI, INDIA: A 30-year-old man in Delhi was left with a hole in his stomach and had to get that part removed after he drank down a cocktail laced with liquid nitrogen.

The man was partying at a Gurgaon pub with friends. They ordered the pub's latest offering - a cocktail with liquid nitrogen. He drank it before the smoke coming out of the drink could evaporate. What followed was extremely restlessness, abdomen swelling and breathing difficulty. The man was rushed to a nearby hospital, where blood tests revealed severe lactic acidosis – high level of lactic acid in the blood which commonly results from oxygen deprivation in the body.

What he had consumed was liquid nitrogen that has a boiling point of -195.8 degree Celsius and is used to instantly freeze food and drinks. The colourless liquid is also used to cool computers and in cryogenic medical procedures like removing warts and cancerous tissues by freezing them. When used to freeze drinks, these should only be consumed after the nitrogen has completely evaporated.

“When I gulped down the drink, I started feeling very uncomfortable, like how you feel when there is an acid reflux. The bartender passed me another drink and I had it, not thinking too much about the discomfort. However, within seconds, my stomach started swelling and I was in unbearable pain. Breathing was also difficult,” said the man, who did not want to be named.

Liquid nitrogen has an expansion ratio of 1:694 at 20 degree Celsius, meaning one litre of liquid nitrogen at 20 degree Celsius can expand to 694 litres of nitrogen gas. And, as it evaporates, liquid nitrogen freezes everything around it, including tissues that come in contact with it.

“Consuming liquid nitrogen can cause havoc in a person’s system. By nature, liquid nitrogen expands manifolds and evaporates when left at room temperature. The gas did not have an escape route after the person consumed it and the sphincter closed, this is what led to a perforation (a hole) in his stomach,” said Dr Amit Deepta Goswami, the person’s doctor and consultant of bariatric and minimally invasive surgery at Columbia Asia Hospital, Gurgaon.

Dr Goswami said the man had come to the emergency section of Columbia Asia hospital feeling drowsy and restless. His stomach was abnormally swollen. His heart rate, blood pressure, and oxygen saturation were all haywire, he said.

The doctors also noticed that his lactic acid level was extremely high. “This meant that there was oxygen deprivation in the body. He had to be put on a ventilator immediately. A CT scan showed that there was free air in the abdominal cavity, meaning that there was a tear in the stomach or the intestines,” Dr Goswami said.

During the surgery, doctors found a huge perforation in the man’s stomach. “Usually perforations are smaller and can be sewed up. However, in this case, we found that the middle and the lower parts of the stomach were open like a book. It was not possible to stitch it back, besides the tissue near the tear was also damaged. So, we had to remove the damaged portion of the stomach and connect the rest to the small intestine,” said Dr Mriganka S Sharma, co-surgeon in the case.

After his surgery, the man had to be kept on a ventilator for three more days. but eventually, he recuperated. It’s been two months since the incident and he has recovered now. “I now realised I should not have consumed the drink without knowing what was in it. I have stopped drinking since ” he said.

© Hindustan Times News 



Your Comments (Up to 2000 characters)
Please respect our community and the integrity of its participants. WOC reserves the right to moderate and approve your comment.

Related News

Patrick Mullen assumes CEO role at CB&I

THE WOODLANDS, US: Chicago Bridge & Iron Company (CBI) said that Patrick Mullen has assumed the role of CB&I's president and CEO, ef ...

Read more
Total, NIOC sign contract to expand world's largest gas field

PARIS, FRANCE: Total SA and the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC) have signed a contract for the development and production of phase 11 of South Par ...

Read more
PPG initiative helps to revitalise historic villa in Milan

PITTSBURGH, US: PPG Industries Inc (PPG) announced the completion of a Colourful Communities project in Milan, Italy, that helped revitalise the Villa ...

Read more
Sika appoints new regional manager for EMEA

BAAR, SWITZERLAND: Sika AG said that it has appointed Ivo Schadler as regional manager for the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region and will j ...

Read more
GST rates for the chemical industry in India - A quick guide

BANGALORE, INDIA: The Goods and Services Tax (GST) is a critical change that the industry has been waiting for. Even on an international level, the in ...

Read more
Impact of GST on India’s chemical industry

The time has come for India Inc. to buckle up and get ready for a momentous transformation in the nation’s industrial infrastructure. The Goods ...

Read more uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. X